The last Board presentation is usually the only document in the company that more or less talks about everything what the organisation is about: strategy, financials, people, product pipeline. It is tempting to harvest the Board slide deck for sales and/or investor presentations. Here is why should not:
- Board presentations talk about you, not about your (potential) customer, not very useful in sales meetings
- Board presentations reveal your weaknesses, give a too transparent comparison to competitors.
- Board presentations are all about trade offs and choices, not a clear articulation of a way forward
- Board presentations have a boring agenda-like structure, not a captivating story
- Board presentations are usually stitched together last minute with input from multiple people, not the most creative story writing process
- Board presentations are designed for long meetings, not 20 minute pitches
- Board presentations are usually Boaring...