Seth Godin believes that:
- Dumbing down products will just attract what you asked for: dumb customers
- Removing features from software does not always make it better
I have been thinking about this a lot, since it applies to the core idea behind SlideMagic: making a simpler presentation design tool. Usually, Seth is right, and he urges people not to avoid the inevitable critical feedback.
So, I am a dumbing down PowerPoint? I do not think so. These are two different things:
- Get people to adopt a different approach to presentation design
- Get people to use a different tool, but continue to follow their current presentation design habits
I try to do 1, and the SlideMagic tool supports the approach.
- SlideMagic is a new corporate visual presentation language
- It always looks aesthetically pleasing
- 90% of your time can be spend on your idea, 10% on jotting it down at a computer
So I think I am "smarting down" business presentation design. But hey, maybe I am biased and do not see things as they really are...
Art: British war time propaganda poster