Adobe is moving to a subscription pricing model for its major software products (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, etc.). I signed up for a $20 or so monthly introduction offer but then forgot that I got upgraded to around $55 charge after one year. This is probably good value if you use many Adobe products, and use them frequently.
As a presentation designer, I fall in between the typical user segments. Here is how I use Adobe products:
- Stitching together multiple PDFs into one
- Reducing file sizes of image-heavy PDF files
- Removing backgrounds from images
- Compressing, re-sizing large image files
- Putting text on blank 3D objects
- Illustrator: opening, selecting groups, re-coloring of stock vector files before saving them as PNGs.
Is there a combination of alternative software packages that could do these basic functions?
Some responses to an earlier tweet: