Think about how a movie director cuts down a movie.
- She does not just chop a few scenes randomly
- She does not double the speed at which the movie runs.
- She does not use picture-in-picture to cram two scenes in one screen shot in parallel.
- She thinks in terms of time, not number of scenes. What can I do in 90 minutes?
- She thinks about plot lines, not scenes. Can we lose that flashback without impacting the story?
- She thinks about the overall story. Now that we cut a few plot lines, do we need to overhaul the whole story line?