For my template store, I am working on a set of standard presentation story lines that can be matched up with template designs. I am going back in my client archive and see what sort of stories I end up using. Here is a very common flow that keeps on coming back in many situations:
- Situation: something has not changed much for a long time
- Inefficiency: this creates a missed opportunity: if only we could do this
- Change: a recent innovation opens up the possibility to do this
- Complication: but there is a problem why it cannot be used
- Solution: enter our solution which takes away this roadblock
This is a slight elaboration of the Situation, Complication, Resolution, introduction story line introduced in the Pyramid Principle that I often used in writing documents at McKinsey.